Can you go back to public school after being homeschooled?

If you live in the United States, you have the right to a free public education and can go to school after you have studied at home. You or your parents should contact an administrator of the school you would be attending and ask for information on how to register for next year. If a transfer request is needed, it's not something I can tell you that I'm knowledgeable about homeschooling rather than school. With that said, you can ask the school that question.

It would probably benefit you to schedule an appointment to meet with your school counselor to learn more about how to enroll. You only have to worry about transferring credit if you are in high school. You will need to ask the school you are transferring to if they will accept your homeschool credit. Depends on each individual school system.

If they accept the credit, you may need to prepare a partial high school transcript for it. The school may be satisfied with a simple list of courses it has completed, along with grades and credit hours, in which case the transcript may be skipped. When homeschooling under the Homeschooling Statute, parents must send a notice of intent to homeschool to their local school division superintendent by August 15. Again, this may not always agree with where you think your child should be placed, but it is often at least a good faith effort to get your child to the right grade in school. TheHomeSchoolMom provides general resources to homeschoolmom students, but doesn't have the resources to answer questions specific to each state's requirements.

It was easier to transition from online school because it's basically a regular (accredited) school that just went online, so it was a basic school transfer. We have been struggling with her reading and she is at the kindergarten level with reading and this year I have to put her back in school because that will help my family financially. She refuses to come back, but right now it's my only option until my husband and I can catch up on some things. It's a good idea to send your notice of intent by certified mail with a request for acknowledgment of receipt to have proof of your submission, although some school districts offer online portals for such submissions.

Unfortunately, schools can make decisions about which credits to accept from homeschoolers and, in many states, they don't accept any or many credits. Keep in mind that online public schools are basically homeschooling, and expect the student to attend during certain days and times, take standardized tests, and meet other requirements that public schools have. Public and private schools often evaluate or evaluate homeschooled children who enter or re-enter their school. Since high school credits are not being transferred, management could be more flexible with their requirements.

Returning to school in the middle of high school can be a challenge, as public schools don't have to give credit for courses taken during homeschooling. One thing I would recommend is partnering with the school your child would enroll in to ensure that everyone (both parents, your child, and the school) has similar expectations regarding grade level, course selection, progress, and the assessment that will be implemented. And finally, you might be able to take community college courses instead of public high school classes. You may be able to do an eighth and ninth grade transcript (assuming you have studied a high school course in eighth grade), showing the books and materials you used and describing how you learned and how you evaluated your learning.


Pearl Knight
Pearl Knight

Friendly music fan. Wannabe coffee fan. Extreme internet specialist. Friendly travel advocate. Amateur pizza trailblazer. .

Leave Message

All fileds with * are required